Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

2 Moms. 5 kids. 1 van. 3 weeks. 3000 miles. Are we amazing or are we crazy? You decide.

Monday, August 27, 2007

Snowballing

About 18 months ago, my cousin pulled her oldest son out of school and decided to finish the year at home. When she told me, I laughed and said, "He'll never go back." Of course she assured me he'd be back in school the next fall. But when next fall came, she decided that both of her older children should be at home, and she and I were discussing history. We both use the SWB Story of the World, but that left the question of what to do for American history.

"We get in the car, I guess," I said.

And one thing led to another, and here we are, about a year later. We're about to get in the car to learn about the Europeans coming to America, the colonization and how those colonies became states and a country. I'll say up front, we've got a disagreement among the grownups about what this tour should be named. She says "Great American History Tour." I say "Great American Revolution Tour." We're not studying things after 1790 or so, right? And since I'm the one with the minimal skillset needed to set up the blog, I win, kind of like the cook decides what's for dinner.

One rule set for the trip: If the grownups (that would be my cousin and me) aren't having fun, we turn around. Kids can be bored and miserable on the road just as easily as they can at home, right?

Our trip takes us through 5 cities. We're meeting in a small town in North Carolina and travelling to Williamsburg, VA, Philadelphia, PA, Boston, MA, Hershey, PA, Washington DC, then back to North Carolina to split up and head home.

We're leaving our homes for North Carolina on Saturday.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow!!!!

I want to go. OK I'm not going but we will follow your adventures very closely. Kaysel will be adding her comments-American History is her love!.

Good luck and drive SAFELY.

Yajaira

Anonymous said...

That's such a cool idea. And as I was sort of a history-geek in school I had to subscribe to this journey-blog. Have fun on the road and a safe trip!

Anonymous said...

Of course you will tour Yorktown, but what about Jamestown? It is so close, but nearly 200 years before independence. An "American History Tour" would include it. But "An American Revolutionary Tour" might not.

Rich

NP said...

Hey - I'm a homeschool dad - which means I mostly ask the kids what they learned at dinnertime and tell them to get out of their jammies and head to the schoolroom after cereal in the morning. I love your trip. American Revolutionary history is the most fascinating subject. Want to keep that 12 year old engaged in the car? Get him something by Daniel Boorstin, or Chernow's jaw-dropping book on America's Greatest Non-President - Alexander Hamilton. Or maybe David McCullough's 1776 or John Adams - both wondrous books.

Two years ago, at age 33, I had the opportunity to visit Independence Hall in Philly and I have to tell you, I can't imagine a greater highlight for your trip. When your kids learn about the country-making that took place in that lower room - it gives you chills. That chair with the sunrise carved on it where Washington himself sat - it's still there.